Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Day7/60 - 3 degrees and a palace.

So who needs Kevin Bacon?

I'm sitting in the internet place in Fleet....the one that caters for incontinent geriatrics in wheelchairs who are hoping to become net junkies before they die.

Talking to a petite blonde in her thirties, I happen to mention I live in melbourne; which she has been to and loves. She tells me her cousin is from there and he is rather famous. Oh, I say, feigning interest. Yes, she replies, his name is James Reyne.
Get out of here!!! James Reyne was the lead singer of Australian Crawl and my brother toured the band many times when he was a promoter...Just three degrees of separation!

Hampton Court Palace for the rest of the day. In true Disney style there are now actors dressed as historical figures wandering the grounds.... and a spontaneous audience participation show centred on the wedding of Henry V111th and Katherine Parr. Tony was chosen to be an archbishop of the privy council - advising the King on what would happen to the realm if the new Queen were left as regent. King Henry asked my Beloved...and what of our religion in transition? Without missing a beat my lord archbishop replied "I had hoped your majesty wouldn't ask me that question - I come from a land not yet discovered and know not such matters of importance"

Gotta love a guy that quick witted even if he is a selfish git some of the time....most of our time in Britain is being spent catching up with his old sailing buddies....Grrrrr.

When we left the palace Tony said he was taking us to a stag party...sure enough he drove through Hampton Court's home park....and there was a group of magnificent stags with musk on their antlers, resting under the chestnut trees.....just gorgeous. I was so taken with them I forgot to take a photo!!! a few hundred metres away were all the does and the young deer, segregated from the males. A bit like an Aussie barbie really.

Food seems to be cheaper in the supermarkets here.... we grabbed salad stuff and cold chicken breasts and more strawberries and white wine and dined in style on the patio.

My sugars are still fantastically good....hard to believe I have diabetes at all.

A good day - and one of my "Things to see" crossed off the list.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Coral,
    I am loving reading your blog. The area you are in is familiar to me as I my cousin and her family live in Alton (just south of Fleet) and my Uncle, Aunt and another cousin live in Camberley. Your stories have brought back memories of visits there. Most of my holidays to the UK have started, or finished in Camberley. It's handy having family close to Heathrow LOL. Your blog reminds me of trips to Marks and Spencers and drives (too fast) through impossibly narrow streets in my Aunt's sports car, with the top down, pork pies, clotted cream, new potatoes and long lazy lunches in pubs with names like "The Rose and Olive Branch". Sounds like you are having a great time.... and I am loving sharing a tiny piece of your journey via your blog!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Linda...
    I am getting quite familiar with Fleet and plan a trip to Camberley next week. I am so glad you're coming on this journey with me. Love to your furkids

    ReplyDelete