Monday, June 21, 2010

Day 4/63 - An English Country Garden

What are Canterbury Bells, Hollyhocks, Foxgloves and pansies? No---they're not artists in a drag show - they're english flowers I had totally forgotten! And they all grow in my sister in law's beautiful garden. It's stunning and very restful ( pictures to follow).

My SIL lost her husband of 55 years last year and she is lost in her bungalow. Despite it being our holiday we feel obligated to amuse her - if only to reassure ourselves she's still alive......I am ITCHING for us to get away and start exploring...but it isn't going to happen today - or tomorrow - or even the next day. Take a deep breath Coral. Sometimes having a lot of energy is a drawback!

English villages are special - there is nothing like them in Australia, or even in Europe. It's a little like being in a timewarp - even the cars move more slowly. It's like being in an episode of Doctor Who where David Tennant is showing his 1,000 year age.

I feel like I am 16, with an 80 year old lady telling me which side of the cupboard the mugs must go in and which direction the handles must point....and that I must wear a cardigan or I'll catch cold.

Today we went to Fleet - a small town just a few miles away from the village. We looked for an internet cafe.... and found one!!! It's combined with a disabilities shop, so the computers ( two of them) are available midst a collection of commodes, wheelchairs, and incontinence pads. It's a strange combination - nappies and the net - and you can get a mug of instant coffee for £1 if you are a total masochist...but the bloke that runs it - John - is lovely.

I took our holiday money on the new Travel Money card....but to top it up you use Bpay - and for every new biller the bank sends you an SMS on your mobile.....so, as I went to transfer funds.... guess whose mobile was happily ringing back in Melbourne???Yep...muggins didn't bring her mobile. It took a few hours to sort out on the phone by which time I was knackered. So after a really awful Penne Bolognese with courgettes ( zucchinis to you lot) cooked by Margaret, I tumbled into bed, jet-lagged and frustrated.

2 comments:

  1. This so totally sounds like a visit to family in Britain. I remember sitting in the 'front room' drinking cups of tea and wondering when we were going to see some of the countryside and shops! You are doing a very kind thing by entertaining Margaret, so shine up your halo for today at least, lol. Hugs
    Carole

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coral,
    Yes, I could happily settle back into the village I came from in Somerset or the village in Scotland where Mum came from.It would be wonderful to have enough funds to own two properties so you could stay for whatever length of time you felt like.

    Long haul flights are exhausting our recovery time is a wee bit slower when we are older.Duty visits to relatives are not relaxing either especially trying to be on your best behaviour.Your SIL has know doubt been looking forward to your visit,she may just be relieved (hopefully) when you leave.
    I think the cat clan must have hidden your mobile phone.I hope you managed to buy a replacement,just a cheap one to have with you for emergency contact etc.

    Take care and enjoy.
    Elaine.

    ReplyDelete