Monday, June 21, 2010

Day 5/62 - Leg of Lamb at the Shoulder of Mutton

Saturday June 19th -

Ooooh...a stunning butchers and deli in Hartley Wintney. He makes his own pork sausages with apple and sage..... we bought some for Sunday breakfast and also Gala Pie ( which is what happens when a pork pie mates with a scotch egg!) and French Brie and strawberries and beer....why? Because the Socceroos were playing Algeria. The World Cup dominates television and beloved doesn't need any excuse to watch sport. I went to Tony's niece's house to catch up with the first few days of this blog and left Tony with his nephew to watch us snatch a draw from the jaws of victory.

Tonight we went to a wonderful old Engliah pub called the Shoulder of Mutton where I had hoped to have leg of lamb....but it wasn't on the very eclectic menu ( Roasts only on Sunday). The chef is French and I had Duckling a L'orange....a half a rather tough duck...which explains why a French Chef is working in an English pub. But the atmosphere was lovely, it was a balmy english summer night - the vodka tonic was long and cool...and my blood sugars are STILL behaving wonderfully.

Home to yet MORE World cup - whoever invented soccer has a lot to answer for!

I feel as though I am in limbo - that we're marking time and our holiday hasn't yet begun and I'm starting to get ever so slightly pissed off ( will those who know me well kindly stop laughing)

1 comment:

  1. Ooooh, tough duck, leg of lamb would have been better! It sounds like Tony is settling into the gentle rythyme of this holiday very easily. I am not laughing, really, well maybe just a giggle.

    ReplyDelete