Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Day17/50 - Wimbledon and a nice cuppa tea.

It's Thursday - and four whole days before we hit the road again. Oh dear!

It's not that I don't love Family - even Tony's family - it's just that I don't want to travel 12,000 miles to be stuck with the mundane....and yes, picturesque villages have their own version of suburbia.
There's washing to do.... and I do it through gritted teeth. I'm waiting for some wild suggestion like running barefoot ( or, even better, bare) through a meadow od daisies and buttercups. The hedgerows are filled with red poppies - white Queen Ann's lace ( sounds so much better than Cow's parsley) and tall mauve flkowers which look a bit like foxgloves but aren't - and I want to pick wildflowers. But I'm doing the washing!!! It's a rest day....except I don't want to rest in a bungalow at Hartney Wintney!
Tony, who thinks of himself as technically efficient, is completely stymied while trying to load the Navman with the EU map! So now we need tech support...Washing and Tech support....thrill factor 0.
We go into Fleet so that Tony can hopefully find help....but it's not forthcoming. At least I get a couple of hours midst the walking sticks and incontinence pads to book our stay in Bath and a night in Newquay - and theatre tickets for the night before we leave the UK. John...he of the terrible coffee - makes a fantastic cup of tea so I can forgive him for almost poisoning him with the coffee. John is now a Facebook friend and a REAL friend. The three of us have bonded....though I think he is more enamoured of Tony than me! He's a great bloke and one of the best things about Fleet...which is never going to win awards as one of Hampshire's ( I SOOO keep wanting to say Hamster) prettiest county towns. Tony disappears and is replaced by Mister Grumpy....it happens periodically and mister Grumpy pisses me off BIGTIME. Neativity runs in Tony's family and generally he does his best never to fall victim to it. But today it has him by the throat and is shaking the life out of him. He's furious he can't get help with the bloody Navman because he KNOWS he should have done it in Australia in the 7 months leading up to this trip. GRRRRRRRRR!
We shop at Waitrose's...a very superior supermarket chain full of yummy things. I've decided to cook tonight....as much for self preservation as enjoyment!
This afternoon we watch the women's semi-finals from Wimbledon.....seems strange to be watching them in the afternoon and not the middle of the night like we do in OZ. It all seems a bit pointless. They could just post the trophy to Serena Williams BEFORE the tournament and she could go off on holiday.
The chicken breasts with chili, lime and creme Fraiche and new potatoes and asparagus and mediterranean roasted vegies go down a treat, washed down with some South African wine which actually isn't too bad. There's strawberries for dessert and I feel I have done my cooking duty.
I actually feel like I'm coming down with some dreaded lurgie...hopefully not swine flu which they are still raving on about over here.

My nose is dripping like a leaky tap and the back of my throat feels like razorblades. Not my hope of sympathy while the soccer is on!

A nothing day - but one day closer to France!

No comments:

Post a Comment