Saturday, July 3, 2010

Day 15/52 - Relax - Don't do it

The words of Frankie goes to Hollywood...a song from my past.

I wake up this morning unable to move....seriously! My big toe can't move anyway and Tony is being un-necessarily cheerful by suggesting two paddle-pop sticks and a rubber band as splints! If I could move I would smack him with a cricket bat - but he knows he's safe. Somehow I hobble down to breakfast and eat something....while Beloved tucks into 2 eggs, bacon, hash browns, sausages and BLACK PUDDING ( which must surely have been eliminated in the middle ages during the great plague!). I need something to stop the aches and a pool and 1/2 hour in the jacuzzi seems like the best treatment- since I can't stand even the lightest touch. The pool is gorgeous and the jacuzzi is as hot as the skin will allow. An hour later I am back in the room and fall asleep on the bed ( which is infinitely more convenient than the floor!)

The plan - when we both awake - is to go to Newstead Abbey - home of Lord Byron ( well it was...he's DEAD) and then to Sherwood Forest ( Beloved makes a terrible joke - aren't they all? "Which way to Sherwood Forest?" "Just follow the arrows!" This will of course make very little sense to anyone A) under the age of 40 or B) Not a Kevin Costner or Russell Crowe fan)

It's still light at 10pm here in summer and so 5pm seems like midday. WE take off in the car....both refreshed by the sleep and the swim. Of course, beloved always asks me to navigate and then totally ignores me when I give directions. After an hour and a half we wind up back at the hotel....Okaaaaay...let's atart again.
We finally find Newstead Abbey - but it's closed! And Sherwood forest would now be put to shame by The Dandongs - but there are quaint little villages - some of which we see several times as Beloved continues to say "I know the way" . He won't stop at the charming little restaurant I have seen and chosen....but insteads drives to a country pub...The Little John Inn. AS it happens the food is superb, the waitress is fantastic but does warn us NOT to eat....if we're staying on, at the very restaurant I picked...... should I slap my husband just because his smile is so smug.

Strangely she has never heard of the Trip to Jerusalem pub though she comes from Nottingham. "But it's historic" we tell her..... a meeting place for King Richard's followers before leaving for the crusades. "But King Richard weren't real, were he?" she counters - and we give up and take an extra helping of stilton.
I was afraidd thet the extra nap in the morning would take the edge off my sleeping at night. I was right....I lay awake for all of....five minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment