Saturday, July 31, 2010

45/22 - the glass is 2/3rds full

Thursday July 29th.

Only a third of our trip left and so much to process in my mind. Hopefully this blog will provide signposts for me when I can look back and find out, as Bacharach and David said "what's it all about, Alfie?"

We’re incredibly tired and spend most of the day dozing….. Back to the bedroom every couple of hours. Perhaps it’s the driving - or the disappointment. Or maybe we’re depressed that the money is running out at an alarming rate. I thought we had plenty, but Barcelona is very expensive and our 3 day trip ended up costing almost 700 euros instead of the 400 I budgeted for. My worst fear is that we will have no money left for Paris - and there’s still another week here and the journey by road to Paris with a stopover to be paid for. No matter how carefully you budget, things always cost more.
We manage a trip to the supermarket between sleeps and stock up on essentials, but mostly we are content to spend the time between the terrace and the bedroom and we don’t fight sleep when it comes. I seem to have been bitten alive in Barcelona by midges or mosquitos…I’m not sure which. But right now I don’t care. Even the flies dive-bombing us doesn’t raise much of a reaction. We are silent together - but it’s a good silence. We need to be alone with each other. The weather is cooler since our return and we take turns spooning each other as we sleep. A nothing day really - but one that is much needed. There’s a very light shower in the afternoon and the earth smells sweet and musty.
The sunflowers have been harvested while we were away and are the fields are now just golden stubble. The harvest is early, because of the intense heat, so the cooler weather is welcomed by all.
In the evening we curl up on the couch and watch the athletics. Christophe Lemaitre is the darling of France and the games. He’s only 20, looks like Jude law, and is the second fastest sprinter on earth at the moment. Tony says he has up to 7 years left as a sprinter. Obviously, when Bolt retires, he will be the natural successor. If I were his agent I would get him into acting school NOW!!! He’s a huge star in the making.
It’s pouring with rain in Barcelona….bucketing down, and we can’t help but feel smug here in France. By 10pm we are ready to sleep AGAIN. But each day now I am more conscious of missing family (especially Allie) and my furkids back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment